1. Cryptographic process of transforming encrypted data back into its pre-encryption form.
Source: Election Terminology Glossary - Draft, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), https://pages.nist.gov/ElectionGlossary/
2. Process of changing encrypted text into plain text.
Source: Glossary of terms database, U.S. Election Assistance Commission, https://www.eac.gov/glossary/
3. The process of changing ciphertext into plain text using a cryptographic algorithm and key.
Source: The State and Local Election Cybersecurity Playbook, Defending Digital Democracy Project, Harvard Kennedy School Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, https://www.belfercenter.org/sites/default/files/files/publication/StateLocalPlaybook%201.1.pdf; Source: U.S. Cyberspace Solarium Commission, March 2020, https://subscriber.politicopro.com/f/?id=00000170-c638-d8f7-a7f1-f63b33510000
4. The process of converting encrypted data back into its original form, so it can be understood.
5. The process of transforming ciphertext into its original plaintext.
Source: Explore Terms: A Glossary of Common Cybersecurity Terminology, National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies (NICCS), https://niccs.us-cert.gov/about-niccs/glossary